In memory of New Mexico’s most recent war casualty, Governor Susana Martinez has issued an order that all state flags be flown at half-staff from dawn to sunset across the entire state. The order that will take place on Friday will be given in recognition of Staff Sgt. Israel Nuanes of the United States Army.
Why is the Mexican flag at half-staff?
The President of Mexico has the authority to issue a decree at any time ordering the flag to be flown at half-staff in order to pay respect to the passing of a significant member of the Mexican government or society, the head of state of another country, or in response to a major tragedy that has occurred in Mexico or elsewhere.
Why is the flag at half-staff today in Wisconsin?
- In memory of Army Sgt.
- 1st Class Nicholas, Governor Tony Evers has issued Executive Order #117, which directs that all flags of the United States of America and the state of Wisconsin be flown at half-staff on Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
- In memory of former Indiana State Representative Hurley Goodall, Governor Holcomb commanded that the United States and Indiana flags in Delaware County be lowered to the half-staff position.
Why is the flag at half-staff at the Georgia State Capitol?
In memory of the Honorable Samuel Alan Massell Jr., Governor Brian Kemp lowered the United States and Georgia flags to the half-staff position on March 16, 2022 at the Georgia State Capitol building and grounds.
Why do we fly the flag at half staff?
On the days that follow, the national flag will be flown at a half-staff position in remembrance, in particular, of the passing of significant heroes.
Why is the American flag at half-mast today 2021?
On October 3, 2021, in remembrance of National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Day, the United States flag should be flown at a half-staff on that day. The National Dead Firemen Foundation was established by the United States Congress to head up a countrywide effort to commemorate the lives of fallen firefighters in the United States.
Why our national flag is half-mast today?
Today in Bengaluru, the Indian government expressed their deepest condolences on the news of the passing of Shri Ananth Kumar, who served as the Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers as well as Parliamentary Affairs.
Why is the flag at half-mast today 2022 New Mexico?
On Thursday, New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham issued an order that mandated the lowering of all flags throughout the state to the half-staff position in honor of fallen Santa Fe Police Officer Robert Duran, who was slain on March 2 while performing his job.
Why are the flags at half-mast today in Texas 2022?
- To pay respect to the victims of the senseless act of violence that occurred on May 24 at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, Governor Roy Cooper has ordered that the United States flag and the North Carolina flag at all state facilities be lowered to half-staff immediately and remain there until sunset on May 28, 2022.
- This is being done in honor of the victims of the tragedy that occurred in Uvalde.
What is the difference between half-staff and half-mast?
- The phrase ″half-mast″ is the one that is recommended by dictionaries, and it seems to be more acceptable when used on the water (as ships have masts).
- The word ″half-staff″ is the preferred term that is used in the Flag Code and in presidential proclamations.
- It appears more suitable to use this term on land.
- We term it a draw.
In common parlance, either one of these phrases may be substituted for the other.
What does it mean if the American flag is half raised?
The Flag with a Staff Cut in Half The flag, in its most fundamental sense, can be seen as a sign of either national sadness or national remembering. It is flown at half-staff most commonly when a national figure passes away; however, it can also be lowered as a statement of compassion or solidarity for other nations that are going through periods of sorrow.
When can the national flag be flown at half-mast?
When the nation is in a state of mourning, the flag of the United States is flown at a height of half-mast (sometimes written as half-staff). When the flag is flown at half-mast, it has been lowered from its regular place at the top of the staff to one-half of its normal height.
How long do flags stay at half-mast?
After the passing of the President of the United States or a former President, the flag shall remain at half-staff for a period of thirty days. The United States flag should be flown at half-staff for ten days after the passing of the Vice President, the Chief Justice of the United States, a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Can I fly a flag on my house?
When you want to put up a flagpole, you will often need to get the approval of the planning department at your city or town council first. Nevertheless, according to the legislation that govern town and country planning, it is permissible to fly some flags without first obtaining planning authorization.
Why is the flag at half mast today March 4 2022?
In memory of Massachusetts State Police Trooper Tamar Bucci, who passed away in a tragic accident yesterday evening, Governor Charlie Baker has issued an order mandating that both the flag of the United States of America and the flag of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts be lowered to half-staff at all state buildings beginning immediately and continuing until further notice.
Why are flags at half mast in Vegas 2022?
- Beginning today and continuing until sunset on May 16, 2022, Governor Steve Sisolak has ordered that the flags of the United States of America and the State of Nevada be flown at half-staff at the State Capitol and all other state-owned public buildings and grounds in Nevada.
- This is being done in memory of the more than one million people in the United States and more than 10,000 people in Nevada who have lost their lives due to the opioid epidemic.
Why are flags at half-staff today Arkansas?
- Notification to Half-Staff Regarding the Flags of the United States of America and the State of Arkansas: Jeremiah Story, Perry County Corrections Officer In memory of Perry County prison officer Jeremiah Story, who passed away on June 22, 2022 while serving his community as a corrections officer, Governor Asa Hutchinson has ordered that both the United States flag and the Arkansas state flag be flown at half-staff.
Should flags be at half-staff on Memorial Day?
In remembrance of those who gave their lives for their country, the American flag should be lowered to half-staff from dawn to noon only on Memorial Day, and then swiftly raised to the top of the staff and kept there until sunset.
Why are the flags at half-staff in Georgia?
In memory of Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsberg and in recognition of her passing, the flags of the United States and Georgia will be flown at half-staff at all county government buildings throughout the state per an executive order issued by Governor Brian Kemp. Justice